I recently came across this great list of 30 Unique Things to Do in Rome on the Eating Italy website. It’s a round up taken from other travel websites and of course it’s slanted towards good food but it has many interesting places away from the main tourist attractions.
Some of the highlights include these things below that we’ve already planned into our adventure:
12. Visit the Galleria Borghese (in Villa Borghese park) to see artworks by Caravaggio, Berninin and Titian. Both the art and the building are extravagantly breathtaking
18. Stay in an apartment rental to get a feel for local living. That way you can shop at the local market and then cook a gourmet meal in your own kitchen
23. Head to the local area of Trastevere and take a stroll around the cobbled streets before choosing one of the many excellent local restaurants. It’s a picturesque neighborhood which has the look and feel of a traditional small Italian town, with people shopping, chatting and drinking espresso at the pavement cafes
I love insider lists like these to inspire me and help me list out what I might do in my spare time while in Rome. Other things from the article that sound great include:
3. Walk up to Gianicolo Hill and listen out for the cannon that fires every single day at midday and has done since the battle for Rome was won here! Then admire the view of all of Rome – just breathtaking!
15. Get an amazing view of Rome through the Knights of Malta Keyhole on Aventine Hill – one of Rome’s best kept secrets. Use the footpath Via San Sabina to Piazza Cavalieri di Malta. You’ll also get a great view of Trastevere and St Peter from the Orange Garden at Santa Sabina.
20. Walk around the San Lorenzo district. This studenty district, just to the south-east of Stazione Termini is Rome at its most alternative. Packed with cheap eateries, lefty-leaning bars and boutique shops, it’s a welcome break from the touristy centre. Plus, it’s the home of the best chocolate in Rome – the chocolate factory at www.said.it – try their hot chocolate, you won’t be disappointed!
Be sure to check out the article and share with us other insider tips you come across. And if great food is your thing, check out the Eating Italy Rome Facebook page for little bits and yummy photos to get you motivated.
» Interesting Reference » 30 Unique Things to Do...